prep time: 10 MINS cook time: 40 MINS total time: 50 MINS
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar
- 1 30 oz bag frozen shredded hash browns
- 2 lb breakfast sausage (we use mild)
- 8 oz of cubed ham
- 2 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 8 medium farm fresh eggs from your chickens
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 parsley
- salt & pepper (if you wish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (if making the casserole day of).
- In a large frying pan, cook sausage until brown. Drain and set aside.
- In same frying pan, lightly brown hash browns (if your skillet is on the smaller side, you may want to do this in two separate batches), then place hash browns into a greased 9×13 casserole dish. Top with sausage and cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and all spices until combined. Pour over casserole mixture.
- Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until cheese starts to bubble and brown and top.
- I pull my casserole out about 15 minutes prior to it being through baking and top with chives and broken up bacon pieces. You can also add diced up tomatoes on top. Then back in the oven for the remaining 15 minutes.
- I always have several grandkids around on Christmas morning along with their Daddies that have huge appetites. So I make sure everyone has enough food. I make TWO casseroles the night before to bake on Christmas morning.
- I make biscuits and gravy as side dishes.
- We usually have cinnamon rolls, too. (You won’t leave this Mamaw’s house hungry on Christmas day) Our dinner is huge, too. 🙂
- Watch for more recipes from our homestead coming soon. Comment, like and subscribe for more from #thehomesteadingavonreps